Linksys Extender Setup using Extender.linksys.com
Linksys Extender Setup is executed using the web based setup page – extender.linksys.com. Linksys WiFi range extenders are specially intended to overcome issues with WiFi dead zones. These devices amplify the WiFi signals coming from your network router prior to transmitting them to the connected devices. In this manner, the strength of WiFi signals increases and the penetration loss is minimized.
The very first thing for the setup is to login to this web based setup interface. Here are the steps that you will need for login:
- Connect the extender to the power supply using the power cable. Wait till the lights becomes stable.
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect a computer or laptop with the wireless extender’s Ethernet port.
- Make sure there is no cuts on Ethernet cable and the Ethernet ports are working fine.
- The connections should be finger-tight.
- Now open a web browser installed on your computer and type http://extender.linksys.com in the address bar.
- Hit Enter and you will be asked for a username and a password.
- These credentials are “admin” and “password” by default, if you have not customized them. (Contact experts if you forgot your password or if it says username or password INCORRECT)
- After entering the credentials, click on “Login”.
- Wait for a few minutes and you will be routed to the web based page for linksys wifi extender setup.
Note:The above steps are for non-configured extenders. In case, your extender is already configured refer to the next section for accessing Linksys smart WiFi setup page.
Live Chat Support
If you are stuck somewhere, don’t worry as our experts are available 24/7 for assistance via live chat.
Accessing Linksys Extender Setup Page for Configured Extenders
Unable to access extender.linksys.com web-based setup page using the aforementioned steps? If so, then your Linksys WiFi range extender is already configured. So use these steps (as per your device’s operating system) for accessing the Linksys wireless extender setup page:
- Go to the start button and open file explorer.
- Tap on “Network” on the left pane.
- Under the network, right click on the name of Extender.
- And then click on “view device web-page” from the drop down list.
- Enter the assigned username and password and click “login”.
- The web browser will now open the extender.linksys.com web-based setup page.
- Go to charms bar – the bar on the right that shows five icons on your home screen, and click on search.
- In the prompted box, type “Network” and press enter.
- Click on the Network application from the result.
- Under the Network, right-click on the extender’s icon and select “properties”.
- Note down the extender’s IP address from here.
- Open a web browser and type the IP address on the address bar and click enter.
- That’s it! Now, you will be on the Linksys extender’s web-based setup page.
- Go to Safari web browser and open the Bookmarks tab.
- Choose Bonjour from the drop down list and double-click on it.
- Use the username and password that you have assigned to your extender’s network, else, use admin and password as the credentials.
- Now you will be routed to the online setup page of Linksys wireless extender.
Getting to Linksys Extender Setup Page via Mac address
In case you have a Linksys RE6400, RE6300 and RE6700, simply enter http://RE6XOO-XXX in the address bar for Windows and http://RE6XOO-XXX.local for Mac users, to get to the Linksys smart WiFi setup page. The three X in the end denotes the last three characters of your router’s MAC address. If you don’t know how to find the MAC (Media Access Control) address, go to the extender settings page, select status and click on WLAN Statistics. Here you will find the MAC address of your extender.
Still can’t get to extender setup page ? Try resetting your Extender.
How to set up Linksys extender on the setup page
The Linksys WiFi range extender setup can be either done manually or through the WPS functionality. The Linksys smart WiFi setup using the extender.linksys.com web based interface is known as manual setup. However, since the WPS functionality is limited to a fewer models, hence manual setup is mostly used.
Tip: Manual setup is also known as the process to set up Linksys extender without CD.
Steps for Manual Setup
Once you reach the setup page of the extender, configure your extender’s settings using these guidelines:
Prerequisites for setup includes:
- Place the extender in the same room where your router is placed. This is for the time of installation process.
- Check the home network. It should be up and working fine.
- Keep the password of your home network handy, as you will need it during the network configuration.
- On the online setup page, you will be routed to the Linksys WiFi range extender smart wizard.
- Click on wireless and then on Basic wireless settings.
- Now you have to choose between Wi-Fi protected setup or Manual Linksys smart WiFi setup. Choose the manual setup.
- Type your SSID – network name in the prompted box.
- Then type in the password for the chosen wireless network.
- Save the settings by clicking on save.
- Power cycle your router and the extender and start taking the leverage of splendid network connectivity throughout your premise.
- So that is how you can configure your Linksys extender manually using http//extender.linksys.com.
Linksys Range Extender Setup using WPS functionality
WPS – Wireless or WiFi Protected Setup is executed in two ways:
Using the WPS button:
This process is for the extenders that have WPS button. Press the WPS button of your extender. Doing so will initiate the WPS connection. On the very next second, press the WPS button on your router. The WPS connection is successfully established when the WPS LED becomes stabilized. Connect other devices to the extender’s wireless network.
WPS setup using extender.linksys.com
- For this setup process, you need to connect the Linksys Range extender with your computer using an Ethernet cable
Or you can use the wireless connectivity.
- Launch extender.linksys.com using an available web browser.
- Provide username – admin and password – password when prompted.
- Choose the setup procedure between Manual or WPS. Click on WPS setup method. Follow the further on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Pro Tip: You can also use the PIN number of the client device for the setup.
Checking the Extender’s connectivity after the Setup
After the setup, you can check the extender’s connectivity using the ping command of the command prompt. Prior to check the connectivity, make sure that you have executed each setup instruction in the exact order as it is provided above. Thereafter, check the network connectivity status using these steps:
- Search for command prompt on your device.
- Once the command prompt opens, type the IP address of the extender and hit “Enter”.
- If it shows you data transmissions, your Linksys smart WiFi setup is successful.
- However, if it shows “disconnected” or “no data transmissions” then the router’s firmware might be obsoleted.
- To update the extender’s firmware, take reference from the section given below.
Steps for Upgrading Firmware of your Extender
Firmware is the software on which your extender operates. The Linksys Extender remains incomplete, till upgrade of the extender’s firmware to the latest version. These steps will help you to upgrade the Linksys extender’s firmware:
- Initiate the upgrade process with login to the online extender’s settings portal.
- The web address of this portal is http//extender.linksys.com.
- Type this address on the web browser and hit enter.
- Provide the username and password for login.
- Further, go to the administration section.
- Inside the administration, you will find the option for firmware update.
- Click on “Firmware Update” and it will initiate the update process.
- Make sure you don’t interrupt the setup process, as it can corrupt the firmware.
- Updating the firmware fixes bugs, provides new functionality to the extender, and enhances the performance of the extender.
That’s how you can update your extender’s firmware via extender.linksys.com login page. The new firmware also prevents and resolve intermittent or dropping WiFi connection.
How to access Linksys extender after Setup?
After the extender setup is done, you might need to access Linksys extender after the setup to manage the settings, change your network name or password, and other stuff. Hence, here are the steps to reach the settings portal of your configured extender:
- Turn on your Computer or Laptop.
- Connect it to your extender’s network either using an Ethernet cable or wirelessly.
- Open an available web browser. Delete the cache and cookies.
- Type http//extender.linksys.com on the address bar and hit the enter key.
- You now will have to type in your username and password in the prompted box.
- Once done, click on “login” .
- Now, you are on the extender.linksys.com login web page. Make any desired setting changes. Once done, click on Save button.
What’s the need for Linksys extender setup?
To understand the need of Linksys extender setup, you first must know about the Linksys routers. These routers without any doubt are best routers available in the market. But still, barriers like concrete walls, floors, slows down the WiFi signals. In such situation, Linksys smart WiFi setup comes for rescue.
Extenders enhance and boost the range and strength of wireless signals emitted by your router.
The main objective of wireless range extender is to eliminate dead spots – the spots where you get no wireless connectivity. Extenders by Linksys are best networking gadgets for this.
Linksys wireless range extender amplifies the wireless signals of the router, prior to transmit them to the receiving devices. This amplification provides necessary strength to boost the wireless signals to remain unaffected by the barriers. Thus, the signals get enhanced to overcome penetration losses and become approachable throughout your premise..
What are penetration losses?
After reading the information provided above you might be thinking that what are these penetration losses. Here is your answer.
We all are aware that wireless signals originate from the router and get transmitted to the devices like our phones, tablets, laptops or computers. During this cycle of signal transmission, the signal passes through many barriers or hurdles such as walls, table, windows, devices that emits frequency signals such as microwave and much more. This reduces the strength of the signal. This loss in the signal strength is what we call penetration losses.
In the nutshell, Linksys extender is the device you need to enhance the wireless coverage area of your router. So that is why you need the Linksys extender setup.
Linksys Extender Setup Process For Various Models
If you’re looking to setup a specific model, refer to these guides:
Re-configuring Process for Linksys Extender
Re-configuration of your extender is needed when you are about to set up your existing extender with a different network. Or when you are using a refurbished extender. In this section, you will find the guidelines for how to re-configure your Linksys WiFi range extender.
Prior to execute the re-configuration process of the wireless extender, you need to reset the extender. Here’s how to do so:
- Press the reset button on the extender for about 15 seconds and let it reboot.
- Or, go to the web based settings interface – extender.linksys.com and click on the factory reset button under the “Administration” tab.
After the reset, the device will reset to factory defaults. Now, comes the reconfiguration. Reconfiguration means setup your extender from the factory defaults settings.
- Connect the extender to a computer or laptop using an Ethernet cable.
- Go to the Linksys Extender setup page using any web browser.
- Now, you will see the extender.linksys.com login page.
- Enter the username and password to log in to your Linksys extender.
- After that, a dashboard will come into view.
- Click on “manual” setup for Linksys smart WiFi setup and execute the on-screen instructions.
- After executing all the instructions, choose the name of the network that you wish to extend using the extender.
- Type in password for the selected network and click on apply.